Link to homepage

Licence - venue for civil marriage and civil partnerships

We may approve non-religious premises to hold civil marriages and civil partnerships, and we may also approve religious premises for the formation of civil partnerships.

The application process for both is the same although different requirements and conditions apply.

There are several things to note before applying for a licence for your venue to hold civil marriages and / or civil partnerships.

The application must be made by the proprietor(s) or trustee(s) of the premises and if applying for civil partnerships in religious premises, we may require the consent of the governing authority.

Along with the completed pdf icon application form [299kb], we will also need a number of documents including the fee. Please read the guidance in the handbook carefully as we may not be able to process your application if documents are missing.

Licensing fees

The fees include all costs, including advertising in the local newspaper. The licence lasts for three years. You can see the current fees here.

Type of building that can be licensed

The licensed venue must be in good repair and a permanent structure. This excludes boats that can be moved, gardens or the grounds of a stately home. Temporary buildings or marquees cannot be licensed. Different rules apply for the licensing of building for religious weddings. You can find out more in the relevant guidance notes to the right.

Ceremonies covered by the licence

The licence covers the holding of a civil marriage and / or the registration of a civil partnership for same sex couples.

For secular (non-religious) venues, the licence does not cover the holding of religious ceremonies on your premises. Holding such ceremonies on a part of the premises licensed for civil weddings or civil partnerships could result in your licence being cancelled.

Public notices currently being publicised

When available, notices will be publicised here as well as in local newspapers and on the premises concerned.

  • There are currently no notices to display.

Public objections

The public has the right to object to your application. Your application will be publicised in a local newspaper and the public may consult your application form. You also need to display a notice on your premises stating you are applying for a licence. If any objections are made, we will attempt to resolve any issues before we make a decision on the application.

You can contact us about this service here.