Link to homepage

Potholes and road condition issues

You can tell us about a non-emergency pothole or other road condition issue online. You will need to pinpoint the issue on a map and will be given the opportunity to provide additional information.

If a pothole or road condition issue is causing an immediate danger to the safety of road users, it is classified as an emergency. You should contact us by telephone to report an emergency rather than using our online form. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am - 5.30pm. Dial 999 outside office hours for our emergency service.

Motorways and trunk roads such as the A19 (north of Thirsk), A66 and A64 are not the responsibility of the council. For these roads, you should report potholes or road condition issues to Highways England by email: or by telephone on 0300 123 5000.

You can tell us about a potholes or road condition issue by registering / logging in to the 'my account' section of the website. 'My account' also allows you to view details of services you have previously applied, booked and paid for. You can also see updates on their progress.

If you prefer, you can tell us about a pothole or road condition issue anonymously, but please be aware that you will miss out on the benefits of having an account ie. you will not receive progress updates.

You can provide feedback about your experience of reporting a highway issue here.

Check the progress of a previously reported highway issue

Updates to issues you reported whilst logged into your account are available here.

Roads - potholes - frequently asked questions