Link to homepage

Street furniture - provision and maintenance

Street furniture refers to anything installed on a road or pavement to help keep drivers, cyclists and pedestrians safe.

Items we are responsible for include bollards, pedestrian guard rails, cycle stands, safety barriers, traffic lights, signs, street lights, bus shelters and salt bins. District and borough councils provide street name plates, litter and dog waste bins, benches, information boards, trees and flower beds. Parish councils are responsible for seats and benches, planters and baskets, village noticeboards, monuments, village signs and trees.

Utility companies are responsible for the likes of telephone poles, mobile phone masts, manholes and fire hydrants.

Unauthorised street furniture

Any unauthorised street furniture will be removed and the costs recovered from the offender. Depending on the nature of the offence, we also have the power to issue fines and penalties.

District, town, city and parish councils can apply to us for consent for items such as litter bins, commemorative benches and trees by downloading and completing the application form below.

Report a highway problem online

If the issue is causing an immediate danger to the safety of road users, it is classified as an emergency. You should contact us by telephone to report an emergency rather than using our online form. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am - 5.30pm. Dial 999 outside office hours for our emergency service.

You can tell us about the issue by registering / logging in to the 'my account' section of the website. 'My account' also allows you to view details of services you have previously applied, booked and paid for. You can also see updates on their progress.

If you prefer, you can tell us about a highway issue anonymously, but please be aware that you will miss out on the benefits of having an account ie. you will not receive progress updates.

You can provide feedback about your experience of reporting a highway issue here.

Check the progress of a previously reported highway issue

Updates to issues you reported whilst logged into your account are available here.

Street furniture - frequently asked questions