Link to homepage

Petroleum storage certificate

The old licensing regime has being replaced with a Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 certification scheme. To store petrol at a petrol filling station a petroleum storage certificate will be required.

When applying for a petroleum storage certificate the following drawings are required:

  • A drawing of the layout of the dispensing premises;
  • A drawing of the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises, including storage tanks and pipework; and
  • A drawing of the drainage system to store petrol at the dispensing premises.

These drawings form an integral part of the storage certificate and their reference number(s) must be included on the certificate.

Application form for a petroleum storage certificate

Should you wish to renew the petroleum storage certificate for your site, please complete this word icon application form for a petroleum storage certificate [698kb]. Please include details of all tanks that are capable of storing petrol (this includes tanks that currently store diesel) and insert all details in the table showing all the tanks and their capacities on your site.

When a significant change is made at the premises a new storage certificate will be required containing up-to-date drawings.

Any discrepancies should be made known to the Petroleum Enforcement Authority. You are also asked to indicate the period for which you would like to pay the fee, and to confirm the name of the person keeping petrol at the site.


 PetroleumFee per year
(1 January to 31 December)
a)Not exceeding 2,500 litres£44
b)Exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres£60
c)Exceeding 50,000 litres£125

You can opt for one year to five years at the above costs per year.

The new regulations state 'The Petroleum Enforcement Authority must be satisfied that the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises may reasonably be used to store petrol without creating an unacceptable risk to the health and safety of any person before granting a certificate.'

There is no longer a requirement to transfer a certificate when there is a change of site operator. The regulations place a duty in both the outgoing and incoming operator to notify the Petroleum Enforcement Authority when a change occurs. This must be notified to the Petroleum Enforcement Authority in writing at least 28 days before the change takes place.

Petroleum storage certificate - frequently asked questions

Contact us

For more information, or if you need help completing any of the registration forms, please contact us and we will be happy to help. Alternatively, email us at