Link to homepage

Skip permits

A skip can be placed on private property - for example, a residential driveway - without a licence. However, a skip licence, which is valid for two weeks, is required to place one on the highway.

This includes all roads, footways, footpaths, verges and back streets. Further periods of two weeks may be granted, but each one requires a re-application. A full skip must be removed within two days. We have the right to specify conditions relating to the position of any builders' skips.

Only skip hire companies can apply to place a skip on the highway and they need to be registered with us.

Skips will not usually be authorised:

  • On a footway or verge, except in exceptional circumstances;
  • On the highway if a skip could be reasonably placed on private property; or
  • On a highway that has an order restricting the parking of vehicles on that section.

We do not charge VAT on a skip licence. However, if the skip company you are dealing with is VAT registered they are required to charge you VAT at the standard rate for both the skip licence and any associated administrative charges.

Our pdf icon skip licence guidance [131kb] contains further information. For costs, see pdf icon list of fees and charges for 2016-17 [252kb].

Skip permits - frequently asked questions