Link to homepage

Licence - street café

A street café licence allows cafés, pubs or restaurants to sell food and place tables, chairs or furniture on the public highway - which includes footways and pedestrian areas.

Unlicensed street cafés will face enforcement action.

Seated areas on non-highway land or other courtyard areas don't need a licence.

A further application would be required to alter any aspect of the street café layout or operation once a licence has been issued.

Applying for a licence

You can apply online for a street café licence. The process will take about three months if no objections are received. If there are objections, it could take up to six months. Licences are valid for a year.

To help applicants, pdf icon there are street café guidance notes [36kb] and an word icon application form [1Mb] is available. A word icon renewal form is also available [1Mb]. Return your completed application form with payment to your local pdf icon highway area office [157kb].

pdf icon You can view our street café licence protocol in detail here [1Mb].

Licence costs

VAT is not payable. Our pdf icon list of fees and charges for 2016-17 are here [252kb].